ROCK STUDIES 2 PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
The Rock Studies 2 Program at Slippery Rock University is the general education requirements for all academic majors for incoming freshman. Since some majors prescribe specific courses within each category, student should use this guide along with the curriculum guide and the My Rock Audit to make course selections in consultation with their adviser.
THE ROCK (15 CREDITS)
|ENGL 102||Critical Writing 1||3|
|ENGL 104||Critical Reading 1||3|
|MATH 117||Quantitative Reasoning 1||3|
|Civil Discourse: Theory & Practice 1|
|Ethics and Civil Discourse 1|
|Civil Discourse and Democracy 1|
INTEGRATED INQUIRY (15 CREDITS)3
CREATIVE AND AESTHETIC INQUIRY (3 CREDITS)
HUMANITIES INQUIRY (3 CREDITS)
Course List (Per Attribute)
|ENGL 180||Society on the Screen||3|
|GNDR 180||Disability and Social Justice||3|
|HIST 180||Spotlight on the Past||3|
|MODL 180||Introduction to World Cultures||3|
|PHIL 180||Philosophical Inquiry||3|
SOCIAL SCIENCE INQUIRY (3 CREDITS)
Course List (Per Attribute)
|CRIM 170||Crime: Why Do We Do It?||3|
|GES 170||Discover Geography||3|
|HSS 170||Lenses of Catastrophe||3|
|INDP 170||Making Sense of Our Social World||3|
|PE 168||Physical Activity and Wellbeing in Society||3|
|POLS 170||Investigating Politics||3|
|SOWK 170||Cultural Competence and Social Change||3|
NATURAL SCIENCES INQUIRY (3 CREDITS)
|SCI 101||Science of Life||3|
PHYSICAL SCIENCES INQUIRY (3 CREDITS)
|SCI 102||Understanding the Physical World||3|
THEMATIC THREADS (12 CREDITS)
- Students should declare a thread in consultation with their academic adviser.
- Select 12 credits including one course from each category (World, Past, Present, Future).
- Six credits must be 300-level or above.
- No more than 4 credits from one subject area.
- Specific courses required in first major, regardless of prefix of course, cannot also be used to satisfy thread requirements.
- Any course with same prefix as student’s first major cannot be used to satisfy thread requirements, even if it is not a course in the first major.
- Courses can share with second majors /concentrations, minors, and certificates.
- Students may take more than one thread, but courses cannot be shared between threads.
POLICY AND PROCEDURE NOTES:
- Students must earn a total of 42 credits in Rock Studies 2 coursework.
- Students exempted from any Rock Studies 2 category must still earn a total of 42 credits in Rock Studies 2 coursework.
- Students may use Rock Studies Thematic Thread courses to complete a second major, minor, or certificate.
- Pass/No Credit courses may not be used to satisfy any Rock Studies 2 Requirement.
- Students who withdraw from the university and then return are responsible for the Rock Studies 2 requirements in effect the time of their return.
- All undergraduate degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits.
- Thirty of the final 60 credits prior to graduation must be earned at SRU. In addition, individual departments may establish residency requirements for their majors and minors. Students should check with their academic adviser to determine the requirements for the academic program.
- Students must complete a minimum of 42 credits of Rock Studies 2 Coursework.
- Students must complete 48 credits of upper-level coursework. Thirty-nine of the 48 credits must be at the 300 level or higher, the additional 9 credits may include 100 or 200 level courses requiring a 3-credit prerequisite. At least 24 of the 48 credits must be completed at SRU.
- Bachelor of Arts degrees require language proficiency at the 103-class level. Exemption by placement or examination is offered.
- Students must complete at least 45 credits at SRU to be considered for Latin Honors at the point of graduation.
- Students who wish to earn two degrees must complete 150 credits, all requirements for both degrees, and meet the language requirement if one of the degrees is a BA. Students only need to meet the Rock Studies requirement for the first degree/major.
- New transfer students follow the Rock Studies 2 Program requirements beginning in Summer 2022.
- Transfer courses valued as a percentage: 2.33, 2.5, etc. may be used to meet requirements, however, students must still earn a total of 42 Rock Studies 2 credits.
- Students transferring 24 or more credits are exempt from Foundations of Academic Discovery.
- Transfer students must still earn a total of 42 credits in the Rock Studies 2 program, unless the criteria of general education completion is met as defined in the Board of Governors Policy 1999-01-A The Student Transfer Policy.
All students at SRU must demonstrate computer competency through one of the following methods:
- Equivalent transfer coursework or successfully complete one of the following courses at SRU:
- CPSC 100 - Introduction to Computing
- CPSC 110 - Computer Concepts
- CPSC 130 - Introduction to Computing and Programming
- PE 202 - Technology for Wellness
- Pass the SRU Computer Competency Exam - CPSC 099
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION (DEI):
All students must complete a course with the “DEI Diversity, Equity and Inclusion” attribute before they graduate from SRU. The DEI course can come from any department and can be used anywhere in your degree
BEGINNING ALGEBRA (ESAP 110):
All students must demonstrate competency through MATH SAT or ACT scores, appropriate high school coursework, or the ALEKS placement test. If competency is not met, students must complete Beginning Algebra and complete 123 credits for graduation.
- Students readmitted to the university follow the Rock Studies 2 Program requirements.
- Students with at least 24 or more credits are exempt from Foundations of Academic Discovery.