Middle School Mathematics, Minor
SRU’s minor in Middle School Mathematics is a useful add-on for students planning to teach secondary math, or non-math subjects in middle school. Future secondary teachers gain deeper insight into teaching students at the younger end of their Grades 7-12 certification, and future middle school teachers in English, Social Studies, or Science can enhance their ability to handle a dual-subject assignment with just 3-4 extra courses beyond what their major already requires. This additional credential can help a teacher’s job application to stand out among the competition: it highlights flexibility, reliability, and potential for greater creativity and depth in teaching math.
To access Minor Requirements, please view the Curriculum Guide tab.
2.0 or higher Minor GPA
- Students must complete at least 9 credit hours of MATH/STAT in their minor from SRU
- A minimum of 6 credit hours must be upper division (coursed numbered 300 and above)
- A minor shall be no fewer than 18 credits.
- Students majoring in Middle Level Education: Mathematics (in the Department of Secondary Education/Foundations of Education) may NOT declare this minor.
- Middle Level Education majors (in the Department of Secondary Education/Foundations of Education) CANNOT apply SEFE 200 to the Middle School Mathematics Minor.
- Students enrolled in both the Minor in Middle School Mathematics and the Minor in Elementary School Mathematics must complete at least 9 credits in each of these minors that are NOT being counted in the other.
|Required Mathematics Courses|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Geometric Structures 1|
|MATH 210||Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I||3|
|MATH 310||Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Teaching of Mathematics in the Middle School|
|Mathematics Methods and Strategies for PRE K - 4 Teachers 2|
|Select three of the following:||9-12|
|Mathematics as a Liberal Art|
|Finite Mathematics with Matrices|
|Discrete Mathematics 1|
|Calculus I 1|
|Calculus II 1|
|Calculus III 1|
|Linear Algebra 1|
|Foundations of Mathematical Proof 1|
|Linear Algebra and Differential Equations 1|
|Theory of Numbers 1|
|Introduction to Education, Teaching Methods and Field|
|Introduction to Survey Methods|
|Elementary Statistics I|
|Introduction to Statistical Modeling|
|Statistical Study Design|
May not be used by Mathematics majors as courses that count toward the Middle School Mathematics minor.
Some courses may require pre-requisites. Please see course descriptions to determine if there are any pre-requisites for that specific course.
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions
Minor in Middle School Math (52C)
This program is effective as of Summer 2022