Adapted Physical Activity, Minor
The Adapted Physical Activity (APA) program is dedicating to serving individuals of various ages and disabilities by promoting health and wellness, as well as empowering them to reach their full potential. Slippery Rock University (SRU) offers the only APA undergraduate minor in the entire state of Pennsylvania.
To provide an opportunity for students to demonstrate professionalism, advocacy and leadership qualities in professional preparation programs by improving the health, physical activity, and wellness of individuals with disabilities.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Communication and Technology: Communicate effectively in speech and in writing, using appropriate information sources, presentation formats, and technologies.
- Professional Proficiency: Apply knowledge, skills, and abilities to meet professional competencies in physical activity for individuals with disabilities.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: Locate, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information and ideas from multiple perspectives.
- Advocacy: Apply advocacy skills to assist in the support of health promotion, healthy lifestyles, physical activity, and wellness for individuals with disabilities.
- Leadership: Use advocacy and leadership skills to assist in promotion of independence, healthy lifestyles, and well-being for individuals with disabilities.
To access Minor Requirements, please view the Curriculum Guide tab.
Minor GPA: 2.0 or higher
- Students must complete at least 6 credit hours in their minor from SRU
- A minimum of 6 credit hours must be upper division (courses numbered 300 and above)
- A minor shall be no fewer than 18 credits
|PE 227||Introduction to Adapted Physical Activity||3|
|PE 262||Adapted Aquatics||3|
|PE 266||Disability Sport in the 21st Century: A Global Perspective||3|
|PE 353||Adapted Physical Activity and Health Through the Lifespan||3|
|PE 460||Program Design in Adapted Physical Activity||3|
|PE 473||Professionalism, Advocacy and Leadership in Physical Activity||3|
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions
MINOR IN ADAPTED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY (61B)
This program is effective as of Fall 2013.