Lifelong Wellness Through Innovative Leadership, Master of Science (MS) - Concentration in School Wellness Education
The School Wellness Education concentration is ideal for teachers and other professional that are interested in creating a healthier society through schools by placing the student and their wellbeing at the forefront of the curriculum. This concentration will prepare graduates to implement the School Wellness Education model, a unique approach to teaching health and physical education in schools, that is based on current national standards.
- A 30-credit hour program with a flexible option for learners who prefer to go at their own pace or need to fit the program into their unique schedule as a working professional.
- Courses are 100% online with flexibility to learn from anywhere.
- Core courses during the fall or spring semester and remaining credits offered during the winter and summer terms.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Communication and Technology: Demonstrate effective communication in speech and in writing, using appropriate tools, techniques, and technologies (GSLO 3)
- Professional Proficiency: Acquire and apply knowledge and skills to meet professional competencies in physical activity and wellbeing. (GSLO 1,2)
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: Evaluate information and ideas to utilize well-supported evidence to create programming for physical activity and wellbeing. (GSLO 1,2)
- Advocacy: Integrate social ecological determinants of physical activity and wellbeing to contribute to the betterment of society through inclusion, empowerment, and civic engagement. (GSLO 1,2,3)
- Leadership: Develop leadership skills to make interdisciplinary connections and promote healthy and physically active lifestyles for all. (GSLO 1,2,3)
- Overall/Major GPA: 3.00 or higher
|PE 685||Fundraising and Grant Writing||3|
|PE 740||Application of Research for Physical Activity and Wellbeing||3|
|PE 745||Leadership Training in Physical Activity and Well-Being||3|
|PE 750||Internship 1||6|
|Concentration - School Wellness Education Requirements|
|PE 601||Pedagogy in School Wellness Education||3|
|PE 602||Advocating for School and Community Wellness||3|
|PE 603||Educational Technology for School Wellness||3|
|PE 604||Personalizing Learning in Health and Physical Education||3|
|Optional Teacher Certification Courses|
|PE 605||Field Experience in School Wellness Education||3|
|PE 755||Student Teaching||9|
Optionally students may select two elective courses in consultation with academic adviser.
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions
Major in Lifelong Wellness Through Innovative Leadership - (9LWO)
Concentration in School Wellness Education (SCWO)