Academic Catalog 2023-2024

Slippery Rock University

Graduate Admission

A student desiring to take graduate courses must apply for admission through the Office of Graduate Admissions. Applications for admission are available online at To be eligible for admission to a graduate degree program, a student must have completed the requirements for a bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university. Admission to graduate studies is a rolling admission process, though some programs of study vary. Applicants should review specific programs of study for details.

An application for admission to graduate study for degree, certification, or certificates includes:

  • A completed online application form, which can be found at
  • Official transcripts sent directly, by mail or electronically, from each institution of all graduate and undergraduate work taken at colleges and/or universities other than Slippery Rock University.
  • Payment of the non-refundable application fee except for transient student applicants and non-degree applicants.
  • Official scores from the specific degree program’s approved standardized test, if required. See individual programs for admission criteria or contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.
  • Additional criteria for specific programs of study (please refer to program fact sheet and website for information).

Credentials submitted in support of an application for admission become the property of the university and will not be returned.

Admission to graduate study is governed by policies recommended by the Graduate Council and approved by the President. Admission to graduate studies does not constitute admission to a degree program. A student may be admitted to graduate study unconditionally, conditionally, or as a non-degree student. Upon acceptance to degree graduate studies, students are assigned a graduate adviser. It is the responsibility of the adviser to answer program specific questions and advise students on the graduate program. It is the responsibility of the student to contact his/her adviser prior to beginning, and throughout their program of study, to program plan and from time to time thereafter, to report on their progress. The final responsibility for meeting all degree requirements rests with the student (See Admission to Degree Candidacy).

Unconditional Admission

An applicant who holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, has earned an undergraduate grade point average of 2.750 based on a 4.000 scale, meets the standards established for the specific degree program’s approved standardized test, and other established admissions requirements may be admitted unconditionally to graduate studies. Programs leading to teacher certification require a minimum 2.8 GPA. Most graduate programs require a minimum undergraduate GPA of a 3.0 or higher. Please check the program admission requirements.

Conditional Admission

An applicant who does not meet all standards for unconditional admission may be granted conditional admission upon recommendation of the appropriate departmental coordinator and approval of the director of Graduate Admissions. The student’s initial admission letter will include requirements for achieving unconditional status.

Special Admission SRU Undergraduate

Undergraduate students with 90 earned credits or more, enrolled in courses at Slippery Rock University, may register for up to two graduate courses each semester (maximum of 4 courses or 12 credits) upon recommendation of their adviser, appropriate department coordinator, and their dean. An instruction sheet and special application for graduate admission is available from the Office of Graduate Admissions or Office of Academic Records and Registration. Credits earned under this status will be recorded as part of a separate graduate level record and will not be used as part of the student’s undergraduate record or degree requirements.

SRU seniors who wish to take a 500 level graduate course as part of their undergraduate degree should request information and an application form from the Office of Academic Records and Registration, Room 107, Old Main Building.

Non-Degree Admission

Students who wish to participate in graduate, non-degree coursework, for one semester may submit a completed non-degree application, and official college transcript(s) confirming an earned bachelor’s or higher degree. No application fee is required and no financial aid is available.

Students may apply for this status more than once, but cannot exceed 12 credit hours under this status. Students who enroll as a non-degree student are not guaranteed enrollment into a degree program. A completed non-degree application is required for each session. In addition, not all graduate programs allow non-degree students to take graduate courses. Please check with the Office of Graduate Admission.

International Admission.

Please see International Graduate Admissions page for specific instructions on how to apply.

Transfer Credit

A maximum of 12 semester hours of graduate coursework earned at other accredited institutions may be accepted for transfer to Slippery Rock University. In some programs, the maximum hours that may be transferred is less than 12 because a maximum of one-third of the program’s required total credit hours may be taken at institutions other than Slippery Rock University. For example, in a 30 credit hour graduate program, no more than 10 credits may transfer. These credits must carry at least a “B” grade, and be approved by the appropriate graduate program coordinator and the Director of Graduate Admissions. Those grades received for courses other than Slippery Rock University’s will be recorded but will not be included in the student’s cumulative grade point average. Credits earned in extension courses and in off-campus centers of other institutions will be reviewed for acceptance. Transfer of credits from other institutions will be recommended by the graduate coordinator and be approved/disapproved by the Director of Graduate Admissions. No more than six semester hours shall be transferred from another institution after a student has been admitted to a graduate program at Slippery Rock University. Any request to transfer credits should be made in writing at the time of admission to graduate study. Please complete the Graduate Transfer of Credit Form and submit to

Transient Students from Another Institution

Students pursuing a graduate program at another accredited institution may enroll in graduate courses for the purpose of transferring the credits earned to that institution. Such students should complete and have signed the appropriate transient student approval form, available from the Graduate Admissions Office at:

1 Morrow Way
105 North Hall Welcome Center
Slippery Rock, PA 16057

Transient Students Enrolled in a Degree Program at Slippery Rock University

Students enrolled in a graduate degree program at Slippery Rock University who wish to take courses elsewhere as part of their degree should have a Graduate Transient Student Clearance Form approved and signed by their adviser and coordinator. After completion of the course(s), an official transcript must be sent directly from that institution to the Office of Graduate Admission at Slippery Rock University in order to have the credit accepted and posted to the university record. (Note: Provided a grade of “B” or better is earned, the credits will be accepted by transfer to apply to the student’s degree requirements at Slippery Rock. However, only quality points earned at Slippery Rock University will be used in computing the student’s grade point average.) No more than 6 semester hours of transient credits shall be transferred from another institution after a student has been admitted to a graduate program at SRU.

Auditing Courses

Auditing of graduate courses is authorized if class size permits. No credits of any kind may be earned by auditing. Auditors are classified as non-degree students and must pay the same tuition and fees charged to students enrolled in the class for credit.