Biology, Bachelor of Science (BS) - Concentration in Professional / Pre-Chiropractic (Logan) (3+3) - Liberal Studies
Program Learning Outcomes
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Respective program graduates should demonstrate synthetic, analytical, and interpretive skills.
- Knowledge/Content: Graduates should demonstrate that they are founded in the discipline at the molecular, cellular, organismal, population, community, and ecosystem levels and that they have a fundamental understanding of chemistry, physics, and mathematics.
- Practical Skills: Graduates will demonstrate proficiency in laboratory related skills.
- Communication Skills: Respective program graduates should demonstrate strong oral, digital, and written communication skills.
- Professional Attitude: Graduates demonstrate professional attitude, behavior, and ability to interact with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Degree Program Writing Competency: Graduates will demonstrate proficiency in writing based on longitudinal data as opposed to point in time data.
Overall GPA: 3.25 or higher
Core GPA: 2.0 or higher
|Liberal Studies Requirements||45-46|
|Other Basic Requirements||0-3|
|Natural Science and Math College-Wide Requirement||12|
* All undergraduate degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits. Some courses meet multiple requirements, but are only counted once toward the 120 credit total required to graduate. However, because this is a pre-professional program, credits taken during the 1st year of the graduate program are applied toward the undergraduate credit hours to meet the 120 credits required for your undergraduate degree.
Liberal Studies Requirements
See Liberal Studies Guide for Goal and Enrichment choices
|Goal Course Requirements|
|Complete Goal requirements as indicated below|
|ENGL 102||Critical Writing||3|
|ENGL 104||Critical Reading||3|
|COMM 200||Civil Discourse: Theory & Practice||3|
|Human Institutions/Interpersonal Relationships|
|Science, Technology & Math|
|Select 9-10 credits of the following:||9-10|
|General Chemistry I|
|General Chemistry I Lab|
|General Physics I with Lab|
|Challenges of the Modern Age|
|Enrichment Course Requirements|
|Select one course from three of the following Enrichment Areas:||9|
Basic Math Requirement
Check with your adviser or a current degree audit report to see if you have been exempted from this course. The credit earned in this course will not be counted toward the 120 credit hour minimum needed to earn a degree.
|Complete one of the following:||0-3|
Meet required minimum SAT or ACT math score OR
|Demonstrate "computer competency" by one of the following:||0-3|
Pass Computer Competency Exam OR
Select one of the following at SRU or another post-secondary institution:
|Introduction to Computing for Liberal Arts|
|Introduction to Computing and Programming|
|Technology for Wellness|
- Students desiring a Biology Major must maintain at least a 2.000 average in Biology.
- Before progressing to a 200-level course, students must achieve a 2.000 average in Principles of Biology - BIOL 104.
- Students may register in 200-level courses in any order, but must maintain a Biology average of 2.000 or better and must complete the 200 core sequence before progressing to 300 and 400-level courses in the major.
- A student must repeat any 200-level course that brings the Biology average below a 2.000.
- Students should complete all 200-level Biology requirements by the end of their sophomore year.
- If you have questions about Financial Aid, visit their website.
- To view the SRU policy on senior undergraduate students earning graduate credit, click here.
|Biology Core Requirements|
|BIOL 104||Principles of Biology with Lab 1||4|
|BIOL 201||General Botany with Lab 1||4|
|BIOL 212||General Zoology with Lab 1||4|
|BIOL 250||Genetics with Lab 1||4|
|Required Upper-Level Biology|
|BIOL 340||Vertebrate Anatomy with Lab||3|
|or BIOL 410||Animal Physiology with Lab|
|BIOL 492||Biology Seminar||1|
|Required Chemistry Courses|
|CHEM 108||General Chemistry II||3|
|CHEM 112||General Chemistry II Lab||1|
|CHEM 201||Organic Chemistry I||3|
|CHEM 202||Organic Chemistry II||3|
|CHEM 211||Organic Chemistry Laboratory I||1|
|CHEM 212||Organic Chemistry Laboratory II||1|
|CHEM 335||Biochemistry I||3|
|Required Physics Course|
|PHYS 213||General Physics III/ Lab||4|
|Major Field Test|
|Required of all Biology students before graduation|
Some courses may require pre-requisites. Please see course descriptions to determine if there are any pre-requisites for that specific course.
Natural Science and Math College-Wide Requirements
|CHEM 107||General Chemistry I||3|
|CHEM 111||General Chemistry I Lab||1|
|MATH 225||Calculus I||4|
|PHYS 211||General Physics I with Lab||4|
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions
BIOLOGY - PROFESSIONAL - BS (6108)
Logan Chiropractic (3+3.3) (61LC)
This program is effective as of Fall 2019.