Communication, Bachelor of Science (BS) - Concentration in Public Relations - Liberal Studies
Program Learning Outcomes
Communication - Public Relations, BS
- Produce written communication tactics to communicate with various publics.
- Employ social media, multimedia and graphic design technologies to communicate with publics.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop a research-based strategic communication plan tailored to a specific target public.
Strategic Communication and Media Department, Overall
- Writing competency: Students will demonstrate the ability to write and present messages clearly and effectively.
- Context of the field: Students will understand the history, concepts, and principles of the field and critically apply these elements to current issues within the discipline.
- Career readiness: Students will demonstrate proficiency in message production required for entry-level positions in the field.
- Ethics and legal issues: Students will understand ethical and legal issues facing communicators in the 21st century.
Major GPA: 2.5 or higher
Overall GPA: 2.0 or higher
|Liberal Studies Requirements||45-46|
|Other Basic Requirements||0-3|
* All undergraduate degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits. Some courses meet multiple requirements, but are only counted once toward the 120 credit total required to graduate.
Liberal Studies Requirements
See Liberal Studies Guide for Goal and Enrichment choices
|Goal Course Requirements|
|ENGL 102||Critical Writing||3|
|ENGL 104||Critical Reading||3|
|COMM 200||Civil Discourse: Theory & Practice||3|
|Human Institutions/Interpersonal Relationships|
|Science, Technology & Math|
|Challenges of the Modern Age|
|Enrichment Course Requirements|
|Select one of the following Enrichment Areas:||9|
Basic Math Requirement
Check with your adviser or a current degree audit report to see if you have been exempted from this course. The credit earned in this course will not be counted toward the 120 credit hour minimum needed to earn a degree.
|Complete one of the following:||0-3|
Meet required minimum SAT or ACT math score OR
|Demonstrate "computer competency" by one of the following:||0-3|
Pass Computer Competency Exam OR
Select one of the following at SRU or another post-secondary institution:
|Introduction to Computing for Liberal Arts|
|Introduction to Computing and Programming|
|Technology for Wellness|
- 27 major credits must be taken at SRU or PASSHE
- 27 major credits must be taken at the 300 level or above
|COMM 110||Communication Concepts 1,2||3|
|COMM 263||Mass Media and Society 1||3|
|COMM 310||Communication Research Methods 1,2||3|
|COMM 410||Communication Law 1,2||3|
|COMM 497||Senior Capstone Seminar 1||3|
|Public Relations Emphasis|
|COMM 201||Digital Imaging||3|
|COMM 231||Introduction to Public Relations and IMC 1||3|
|COMM 232||Publication Production||3|
|COMM 242||Journalistic Writing 1||3|
|COMM 315||Organizational Communication||3|
|COMM 332||Case Studies in Public Relations and Integrated Communication 1||3|
|COMM 333||Writing for Public Relations and Integrated Marketing Communication 1||3|
|COMM 415||Persuasion 1||3|
|or COMM 312||Argumentation|
|COMM 431||PR and IMC Campaigns Capstone 1||3|
|Message Production and Preparation|
|Select three courses of the following: 3||9|
|Interactive Multimedia 1 1|
|Video Production 1|
|Interactive Multimedia 2 1|
|Professional Presentation 1|
|Publication Production 1|
|Feature Journalism 1|
|New-Media Journalism 1|
|Required Business Course|
|MRKT 330||Principles of Marketing 1||3|
|or MGMT 351||Organizational Behavior|
|COMM 450||Internship 1||3|
Course counts for 50% of Major and Major GPA
A grade of 'C' or higher must be earned in these courses
At least one course must be 300 level or higher.
Some courses may require pre-requisites. Please see course descriptions to determine if there are any pre-requisites for that specific course.
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions
COMMUNICATION - BS (2118)
Concentration in Public Relations (PUBR)
This program is effective as of Fall 2018.