An undergraduate student who has been academically readmitted to the institution and is returning to the institution from an academic suspension or dismissal may apply for Academic Restart. Under Academic Restart, all Slippery Rock University grades and credits for courses taken prior to reinstatement to the institution will not be applied to grade point average or credits earned calculations. The student should contact Financial Aid to determine how his/her aid may be impacted by Academic Restart.
- A student must sit out at least five years before being eligible for Academic Restart.
- A student will be placed on provisional status for one semester of full time study, or until he/she has attempted 15 semester hours if attending part time. A student must achieve a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.000 by the end of the period of provisional status. Failure to achieve the 2.000 minimum cumulative grade point average will result in permanent dismissal from Slippery Rock University.
- All grades for courses taken prior to the point at which Academic Restart is granted will remain on the academic transcript and academic history. The grades and credits earned prior to the Academic Restart action will not be applied to grade point average or credits earned calculations.
- A student may be reinstated only once under the provisions of the Academic Restart program.
- If the student has attended other institutions since their withdrawal, suspension, or dismissal, transfer credits and credits by exam may be considered to meet graduation requirements. Official transcripts/score reports will be forwarded by Academic Services or the appropriate Dean’s office to Transfer Admissions for formal evaluation and posting of credits to the degree audit.
- A student who is reinstated under the provisions of the Academic Restart program retains the right to utilize course repeat options as specified by University policy.
- An Academic Restart Request is submitted for consideration to the Dean of the college or the Office of Academic Services (Exploratory). At the discretion of the College Dean, the request may be referred to the Office of Academic Services. The Dean of the college or the Office of Academic Services forwards a recommendation to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Chief Academic Officer. Any exception to these procedures must be approved by the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Chief Academic Officer or designee.
Students must apply for Academic Restart through their College Dean’s office or the Office of Academic Services (Exploratory students). After applying, their previous academic record will receive a full review by the College Dean or the Office of Academic Services and the Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Chief Academic Officer or designee. Students can be re-admitted only once under the Academic Restart program. Academic restart can only be reversed if the student does not enroll at the institution.
Students interested in being considered for Academic Restart should do the following:
- Submit the Readmission application.
- Submit the Restart Request form.
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions attended after leaving SRU.
- Submit a written narrative describing academic goals upon return to SRU as well as a plan to ensure academic success.
Students who were Exploratory at the time they left the University should submit this packet to the Academic Services Department. All other students must submit the packet to the Dean's Office of the major at the time they left the University.