Slippery Rock University offers minors at the undergraduate level. A minor is a set of courses that meet specified guidelines and is designed to allow a sub-major concentration in an academic discipline or in a specific area within a discipline. The minor is recorded on the students’ transcripts, providing the students have maintained at least a 2.0 minimum quality point average (some minors may require a higher GPA) for all coursework required for the minor. Students wishing to add an Academic Minor to their record, must submit, with department chairperson's approval, the Minor Declaration Form to the Office of Academic Records and Registration.
A department shall establish its own policy regarding which courses shall count toward an academic minor subject to the following limitations:
- The minor shall have a minimum of 18 credits.
- The minor shall have a minimum of 6 credits from SRU.
- The minor shall have a minimum of 6 upper division credits at the 300/400 level. (Exceptions to this one requirement may be made by the Chancellor on a case by case basis.)
- No course needed for the minor may be taken Pass/Fail.
- Courses counted in a minor can also be used to satisfy the Liberal Studies/Rock Studies requirements.
- At least 6 credits in the selected minor shall be outside the requirements/electives counted in the student’s major.
- Students may not add, complete, or declare a minor after graduation. The requirements for all minors must be completed prior to the awarding of the first baccalaureate degree. Once graduated, students may not return and add additional minors to their undergraduate record.
- Students may also elect more than one minor course of study.
- Students may be awarded more than one minor so long as they complete the requirements for each minor.
Students are typically responsible for meeting the minor requirements in effect at the time they enter the university or change majors. When students leave the university and are later readmitted, they become responsible for meeting the minor requirements in effect at the time they are readmitted. If students would benefit from meeting a set of minor requirements other than those in effect at the time they declared their minor or were admitted/readmitted to the university, their adviser may request of the student’s academic dean that a different set of minor requirements be met.