Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) (RN-BSN) - Rock Studies
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing program is a fully CCNE accredited Online Degree Completion Program for nurses, who already hold RN licensure. In the program, students develop critical thinking skills for clinical decision-making, prepare to collaborate in multidisciplinary work, shift focus from care of individuals within a community to the health of a community, refine professional communication, and develop leadership skills.The curriculum provides a strong foundation for professional development in a nursing career and the opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills needed for advancement in clinical ladder programs. Students also develop the team skills and technological ability to provide leadership in managed care environments.
This program meets the requirements for certification in Pennsylvania. As regulations vary by state, please check the licensing board in your state.
- The applicant must hold an RN associate or diploma degree in Nursing
- The applicant must hold an unencumbered current RN licensure
- The applicant must have completed 63 or more transferable credits
- The applicant must have a 2.5 or higher RN program GPA
- The applicant must be in good academic standing at the most recent institution attended
Program Learning Outcomes
- Uses effective communication in formal and informal interactions with individuals and group including clients, families, and communities.
- Applies critical thinking process to professional nursing practice.
- Synthesizes knowledge from nursing, scientific, and humanistic disciplines to guide nursing practice.
- Uses the nursing process to promote, maintain, and restore health for individuals, families, and groups within communities.
- Participates with others in providing high quality, cost-effective care and in promoting the health and well-being of individuals, families, and groups within communities.
- Applies research findings to improve and refine nursing practice.
- Evaluates nursing practice in relation to professional/legal standards, ethical principles, and sensitivity to the cultural differences of clients.
- Exercises leadership for the evaluation and enhancement of the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice.
- Values continuing personal and professional development.
If you are a Liberal Studies student, please click here for your Curriculum Guide.
Major GPA: 2.0 or higher
Overall GPA: 2.5 or higher
|Rock Studies Requirements||45|
|RN and Elective Requirements||45|
* All undergraduate degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits. Some courses meet multiple requirements, but are only counted once toward the 120 credit total required to graduate.
Rock Studies Requirements
BSN Students must complete a sum total of 45 SRU Rock Studies-based credits. There are no specific requirements.
|Required Supportive Coursework|
|PHIL 325||Medical/Health Care Ethics||3|
|INDP 317||Statistics for the Social Sciences||3|
|Required Nursing Courses 1|
|NURS 311||Introduction to Health Care Informatics||3|
|NURS 312||Nursing in Transition||3|
|NURS 327||Group Process for Nursing||3|
|NURS 331||Evidence Based Health Assessment and Promotion||3|
|NURS 422||Nursing Research||3|
|NURS 426||Community and Public Health Nursing||3|
|NURS 434||Leadership and Management in Nursing with Practice Experience||3|
|Nursing Electives 1|
|NURS 322||The Teaching-Learning Process in Nursing||3|
|NURS 406||Politics and Policy Nursing||3|
|NURS 408||Delivery of Nursing Care in a Managed Care Environment/Clinical||3|
|NURS 429||Financial Management for Nursing Case Managers||3|
|NURS 430||Leadership in Nursing and Healthcare Systems||3|
|NURS 433||Innovative Technology for Healthy Communities||3|
|NURS 440||Nursing Case Management in Today's Healthcare Environment||3|
|NURS 498||Selected Topics||1-3|
|NURS 500||Developing Transcultural Awareness Among Health Professionals||3|
|NURS 510||Cardiovascular Function: Assessment and Treatment||3|
|NURS 511||Advanced Healthcare Informatics||3|
|NURS 514||Bioterrorism and Disaster Management: The Nurse's Role||3|
|NURS 516||Nursing for Palliative and End-of-Life Issues||3|
|NURS 517||Social Media and Healthcare||3|
Must earn a “C” or better
Some courses may require pre-requisites. Please see course descriptions to determine if there are any pre-requisites for that specific course.
RN and Elective Requirements
Diploma Nurse RNs are awarded a block of 30 credits for their nursing coursework. Associate Degree RNs will find their Nursing coursework delineated as a total number of Electives.
|NURS 199||RN Completion (Current Licensure as an RN)||0-30|
Co-curricular and Experiential Learning
Students are encouraged to explore additional curricular and co-curricular opportunities. There is a strong correlation between long-term student success and participation in the following types of programs and activities:
- International study programs (short-term, semester, and year-long)
- High-Impact Practice (HIP) designated classes
- Student-faculty research
- Job Shadowing
- Career Education Services
RN to BSN PROGRAM - BS (6 58)
This program is effective as of Fall 2020.
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions