Communication Studies, Bachelor of Arts (BA) - Liberal Studies
Program Learning Outcomes
Communication Studies, BA
- Demonstrate knowledge and proficiency in research and analysis relevant to the communication discipline.
- Develop additional communication competencies through course selection within their degree requirements and through free electives. These additional competencies may include: Design skills, Media Production skills; Intercultural Skills, Journalistic skills, and Public Relations writing skills; or skills related to a minor program of study.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the history, evolution, and fundamental theories of the discipline of Communication.
Strategic Communication and Media Department, Overall
- Writing competency: Students will demonstrate the ability to write and present messages clearly and effectively.
- Context of the field: Students will understand the history, concepts, and principles of the field and critically apply these elements to current issues within the discipline.
- Career readiness: Students will demonstrate proficiency in message production required for entry-level positions in the field.
- Ethics and legal issues: Students will understand ethical and legal issues facing communicators in the 21st century.
Major GPA: 2.5 or higher Overall GPA: 2.0 or higher
|Liberal Studies Requirements||45-46|
|Modern Language Requirement||0-9|
|Other Basic Requirements||0-3|
* All undergraduate degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits. Some courses meet multiple requirements, but are only counted once toward the 120 credit total required to graduate.
Liberal Studies Requirements
See Liberal Studies Guide for Goal and Enrichment choices
|Goal Course Requirements|
|ENGL 102||Critical Writing||3|
|ENGL 104||Critical Reading||3|
|COMM 200||Civil Discourse: Theory & Practice||3|
|Goal - Non-US||3|
|Goal - Non-US||3|
|Goal - US||3|
|Human Institutions/Interpersonal Relationships|
|Science, Technology & Math|
|Goal - Sci||3|
|Goal - Sci||3|
|Lab - Sci||0-1|
|Goal - Math||3|
|Challenges of the Modern Age|
|Enrichment Course Requirements|
|Select one cousre from three of the following Enrichment areas:||9|
BA Modern Language Requirement
BA degree requires language proficiency at the 103 class level. Exemption by placement or examination is possible.
|Complete 0-9 credits||0-9|
Basic Math Requirement
Check with your adviser or a current degree audit report to see if you have been exempted from this course. The credit earned in this course will not be counted toward the 120 credit hour minimum needed to earn a degree.
|Complete one of the following:||0-3|
Meet required minimum SAT or ACT math score OR
|Demonstrate "computer competency" by one of the following:||0-3|
Pass Computer Competency Exam OR
Select one of the following at SRU or another post-secondary institution:
|Introduction to Computing for Liberal Arts|
|Introduction to Computing and Programming|
|Technology for Wellness|
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in COMM 110, COMM 310, and COMM 413. At least 40 % (48 hours) of the entire degree and 50% (20 hours) of courses in the major must consist of upper level coursework.
- Students must complete 50% of credits required for the major from a PASSHE university.
- 20 major credits must be taken at SRU or PASSHE
- 20 major credits must be taken at the 300 level or above
|COMM 110||Communication Concepts 1,2||3|
|COMM 310||Communication Research Methods 1,2||3|
|COMM 413||Communication Theory 1||3|
|COMM 497||Senior Capstone Seminar 1||3|
|Communication Studies Requirements|
|Select 9 credits of the following:||9|
|Small Group Communication 1|
|Communication and Media Ethics 1|
|Interpersonal Communication 1|
|Organizational Communication 1|
|Communication Law 1,2|
|Select any six additional Communication courses. At least 2 must be at the 300-level or above.||18|
Course counts for 50% of Major and Major GPA
A grade of 'C' or higher must be earned in these courses
Some courses may require pre-requisites. Please see course descriptions to determine if there are any pre-requisites for that specific course.
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions
COMMUNICATION - BA (2 14)
This program is effective as of Fall 2017.
Revision date: 7-2018