Communication, Bachelor of Science (BS) - Concentration in Integrated Marketing Communication - Liberal Studies
Program Learning Outcomes
Communication - Integrated Marketing Communication, BS
- Produce appropriately targeted media materials in a variety of formats.
- Understand the role of public relations, advertising, and other promotional marketing tools in the integrated marketing communication mix.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop a research-based strategic integrated marketing communication plan tailored to a designated consumer profile.
Strategic Communication and Media Department, Overall
- Writing competency: Students will demonstrate the ability to write and present messages clearly and effectively.
- Context of the field: Students will understand the history, concepts, and principles of the field and critically apply these elements to current issues within the discipline.
- Career readiness: Students will demonstrate proficiency in message production required for entry-level positions in the field.
- Ethics and legal issues: Students will understand ethical and legal issues facing communicators in the 21st century.
Major GPA: 2.5 or higher
Overall GPA: 2.0 or higher
|Liberal Studies Requirements||45-46|
|Other Basic Requirements||0-3|
* All undergraduate degree programs require a minimum of 120 credits. Some courses meet multiple requirements, but are only counted once toward the 120 credit total required to graduate.
Liberal Studies Requirements
See Liberal Studies Guide for Goal and Enrichment choices
|Goal Course Requirements|
|Complete Goal requirements as indicated below|
|ENGL 102||Critical Writing||3|
|ENGL 104||Critical Reading||3|
|COMM 200||Civil Discourse: Theory & Practice||3|
|Human Institutions/Interpersonal Relationships|
|Science, Technology & Math|
|Challenges of the Modern Age|
|Enrichment Course Requirements|
|Select one of the following Enrichment Areas:||9|
Basic Math Requirement
Check with your adviser or a current degree audit report to see if you have been exempted from this course. The credit earned in this course will not be counted toward the 120 credit hour minimum needed to earn a degree.
|Complete one of the following:||0-3|
Meet required minimum SAT or ACT math score OR
|Demonstrate "computer competency" by one of the following:||0-3|
Pass Computer Competency Exam OR
Select one of the following at SRU or another post-secondary institution:
|Introduction to Computing for Liberal Arts|
|Introduction to Computing and Programming|
|Technology for Wellness|
- 29 major credits must be taken at SRU or PASSHE
- 29 major credits must be taken at the 300 level or above
|COMM 110||Communication Concepts 1,2||3|
|COMM 263||Mass Media and Society 1||3|
|COMM 310||Communication Research Methods 1,2||3|
|COMM 410||Communication Law 1,2||3|
|COMM 497||Senior Capstone Seminar 1,2||3|
|COMM 231||Introduction to Public Relations and IMC 1||3|
|COMM 256||Message Preparation||3|
|COMM 307||Social Media||3|
|COMM 332||Case Studies in Public Relations and Integrated Communication 1||3|
|COMM 333||Writing for Public Relations and Integrated Marketing Communication 1,2||3|
|COMM 364||Brand Management||3|
|COMM 407||Social Media 2: Analytics and Strategies||3|
|COMM 431||PR and IMC Campaigns Capstone 1||3|
|MRKT 330||Principles of Marketing 1||3|
|MRKT 333||Consumer Behavior 1||3|
|MRKT 334||Advertising Management 1||3|
|Select six credits from the following:||6|
|Principles of Creative Advertising|
|Introduction to Digital Design|
|Interactive Multimedia 1|
|Issues in Communication Technologies|
|COMM 450||Internship 1||3|
|or MRKT 450||Internship|
Course counts for 50% of Major and Major GPA
A grade of 'C' or higher must be earned in these courses
Some courses may require pre-requisites. Please see course descriptions to determine if there are any pre-requisites for that specific course.
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions
COMMUNICATION - BS (2118)
Concentration in Integrated Marketing (IMRK)
This program is effective as of Fall 2020.