Honors at Graduation
At both the December and May commencement ceremonies, the university recognizes students who have met the academic criteria for Latin honors.
- Undergraduates working on their first baccalaureate degree may qualify for honors at graduation. Post-baccalaureate and graduate students are not eligible for these honors.
- A minimum of 60 credits must be earned at Slippery Rock University. These credits may include: all SRU credit bearing course work; all credits earned through SRU’s credit by exam program, including the NLN Mobility Profile II, administered by the Department of Nursing; SRU credit earned with a “P” grade; and credits earned as a Visiting Student at another PASSHE institution.
- Credits earned by any other form of credit by exam (AP, CLEP, PEP, DSST and NLN (other than the Mobility Profile II), credits earned at other universities (transfer & transient), via military service/schooling, and non-SRU course work taken abroad will not count toward the 60 credit minimum.
- The following cumulative GPA’s must be earned to qualify for honors at graduation.
- Summa Cum Laude (With the Highest Honor) 3.800 - 4.000
- Magna Cum Laude (With High Honor) 3.600 - 3.799
- Cum Laude (With Honor) 3.500 - 3.599
No restrictions will apply to students who repeat grades of D or F and who still meet the criteria for honors at graduation.
At commencement, the names of these honor students are specially designated in the commencement program. In addition, the Summa Cum Laude graduates wear medallions around their necks, which are gifts of the Slippery Rock University Alumni Association; Magna Cum Laude graduates wear white honor cords; and Cum Laude graduates wear green honor cords.
Students identified by the director of the University Honors College as having completed the requirements of the Honors College will also wear special honor cords at graduation.
Recognition of honors at graduation will be based upon students’ cumulative GPA at the end of the semester preceding graduation. Designation of honors on the university transcript will not be determined until the students’ final semester grades are submitted and official, final cumulative GPA’s are calculated.