Office: 101 Eisenberg
Catriona T. Higgs
Robertha Abney, Brian Crow, Catriona Higgs
Our mission is to provide a learning environment that:
- Prepares students for a variety of careers in the sport industry
- Fosters independent critical thinking and effective problem solving
- Includes faculty who are committed to quality teaching, research and service
- Promotes collaborative efforts among faculty and students
- Develops students who have a commitment to personal and professional competency
- Emphasizes student accountability for academic performance and ethical behavior
- Prepares students to serve a diverse population in a global society
The SRU sport management undergraduate program has been in existence since 1977 and in that period has witnessed exponential growth and increased national prestige. The sport industry, due to its wide variety of positions, places unique demands on those involved in its management. These positions require management, marketing, accounting, finance, economics, communications, and legal skills specific to the sport setting. Therefore, the preparation of competent sport/business specialists is necessary. The present curriculum offers an excellent base in specific sport management courses and many sport management students complete various minors in communication, business and other specialized areas.
The curriculum continues to be reviewed and adapted to meet changes in the sport industry. Evaluations from student interns and agency supervisors create the basis of the university’s considerations, along with program standards developed by COSMA. The Sport Management Department is accredited by COSMA (The Commission on Sport Management Accreditation) and is one of only 12 programs in the US to be accredited. SRU Sport Management Department was the first program in the nation to receive this honor.