014 West Gym
Our mission is to provide a learning environment that:
- Prepares students for a variety of careers in the sport industry
- Fosters independent critical thinking and effective problem solving
- Includes faculty who are committed to quality teaching, research and service
- Promotes collaborative efforts among faculty and students
- Develops students who have a commitment to personal and professional competency
- Emphasizes student accountability for academic performance and ethical behavior
- Prepares students to serve a diverse population in a global society
Catriona T. Higgs
Robertha Abney, Brian Crow, Catriona Higgs
The Department of Sport Management offers both undergraduate and graduate programs. The SRU sport management undergraduate program has been in existence since the mid 1970’s and in that period has witnessed exponential growth and increased national prestige. The sport industry, due to its wide variety of positions, places unique demands on those involved in its management. These positions require management, marketing, accounting, finance, economics, communications, and legal skills specific to the sport setting. Therefore the preparation of a new kind of sport/business specialist is necessary. The present curriculum offers an excellent base in specific sport management courses and many of the sport management students complete various minors in communication, business and other specialized areas.
The curriculum continues to be reviewed and adapted to meet the growing changes in the sport management field. Evaluations from senior student interns and agency supervisors create the basis of the university’s considerations along with program standards developed jointly by two professional organizations (NASPE and NASSM). The Sport Management Program Review Council of NASPE/NASSM has approved less than 20% of the top programs in the United States. We are one of the few in Pennsylvania to be an approved sport management program and Slippery Rock University is proud to be included in that select group.