Adapted Physical Activity, Master of Science (MS)
The Master of Science Degree in Adapted Physical Activity provides the student with a 30-hour comprehensive program with a contemporary curriculum taught by nationally recognized faculty. The program requires the successful completion of a 6-credit internship. The internship experience expands the student’s knowledge and enhances their practical application of adapted physical activity service delivery, supervision, and leadership. The internship is the student’s culminating experience and often proves to be mutually beneficial to both the student and the host agency. The students gain valuable knowledge about the field of adapted physical activity while the host evaluates potential future employees.
All applicants for graduate study at Slippery Rock University must have a minimum grade point average of 2.75 and submit a 750 word essay describing why the applicant is applying to the program and how this degree will help the applicant reach his/her career goals. Applicants should have their transcripts forwarded to the Graduate Admissions Office.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Communication and Technology: Communicate effectively in speech and in writing, using appropriate information sources, presentation formats, and technologies.
- Professional Proficiency: Apply knowledge, skills, and abilities to meet professional competencies in physical activity for individuals with disabilities.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: Locate, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information and ideas from multiple perspectives.
- Advocacy: Apply advocacy skills to assist in the support of health promotion, healthy lifestyles, physical activity, and wellness for individuals with disabilities.
- Leadership: Use advocacy and leadership skills to assist in promotion of independence, healthy lifestyles, and well-being for individuals with disabilities.
|PE 662||Disability Sport in the 21st Century: A Global Perspective||3|
|PE 673||Advanced Study of Disability in Physical Activity||3|
|PE 678||Lifespan Physical Activity and Disability||3|
|PE 685||Fundraising/Grant Writing in Adapted Physical Activity||3|
|PE 694||Health Promotions for Persons with Disabilities||3|
|PE 698||Selected Topics||3|
|PE 740||Application of Research for Practicing APA Specialists||3|
|PE 745||Leadership Training in Adapted Physical Activity||3|
Important Curriculum Guide Notes
This Curriculum Guide is provided to help SRU students and prospective students better understand their intended major curriculum. Enrolled SRU students should note that the My Rock Audit may place already-earned and/or in progress courses in different, yet valid, curriculum categories. Enrolled SRU students should use the My Rock Audit Report and materials and information provided by their faculty advisers to ensure accurate progress towards degree completion. The information on this guide is current as of the date listed. Students are responsible for curriculum requirements at the time of enrollment at the University.
PASSHE - Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Institutions
Major Code: 9766