Aug 07, 2020  
2012-2014 Graduate Catalog 
2012-2014 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Admission

A student desiring to take graduate courses must apply for admission through the Office of Graduate Admissions. Applications for admission are available online at To be eligible for admission to a graduate degree program, a student must have completed the requirements for a bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university. Admission to graduate studies is a rolling admission process, though some programs of study vary this process. Applicants should review specific programs of study for details.

An application for admission to graduate study for degree/certificate programs includes:

  • A completed application form.
  • Official transcripts sent directly from each institution of all graduate and undergraduate work taken at colleges and/or universities other than Slippery Rock University.
  • Payment of the non-refundable application fee except for transient student applicants and non-degree applicants.
  • Official scores from the specific degree program’s approved standardized test if required. See individual programs for admission criteria or contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.
  • Additional criteria for specific programs of study (see individual programs for this information).

Credentials submitted in support of an application for admission become the property of the university and will not be returned.

Admission to graduate study is governed by policies recommended by the Graduate Council and approved by the President. Admission to graduate studies does not constitute admission to a degree program. A student may be admitted to graduate study unconditionally, conditionally, or as a non-degree student. Upon acceptance to degree graduate studies, students are assigned a graduate advisor. It is the responsibility of the advisor to assist the student in planning a graduate program. It is the responsibility of the student to see his/her advisor prior to beginning graduate work in order to plan a program and, from time to time thereafter, to report on their progress. The final responsibility for meeting all degree requirements rests with the student (See Admission to Degree Candidacy).

Unconditional Admission. An applicant who holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, has earned an undergraduate grade point average of 2.750 based on a 4.000 scale, meets the standards established for the specific degree program’s approved standardized test, and other established admissions requirements may be admitted unconditionally to graduate studies. Programs leading to teacher certification require a minimum 2.8 GPA.

Conditional Admission. An applicant who does not meet all standards for unconditional admission may be granted conditional admission upon recommendation of the appropriate departmental coordinator and approval of the director of Graduate Admissions. The student’s initial admission letter will include requirements for achieving unconditional status.

Special Admission SRU Undergraduate. Undergraduate students with 90 earned credits or more, enrolled in courses at Slippery Rock University, may register for up to two graduate courses each semester (maximum of 4 courses) upon recommendation of their advisor, appropriate department coordinator, and their dean. An instruction sheet and special application for graduate admission is available from the Office of Graduate Admissions or Office of Academic Records and Summer School. Credits earned under this status will be recorded as part of a separate graduate level record and will not be used as part of the student’s undergraduate record or degree requirements.

SRU seniors who wish to take a 500 level graduate course as part of their undergraduate degree should request information and an application form from the office of academic records and summer school, room 107, Old Main Building.

Non Degree Admission. Students who wish to participate in graduate, non-degree coursework, for one semester may submit a completed non-degree application, and official college transcript(s) confirming an earned bachelor’s or higher degree. No application fee is required and no financial aid is available.

Students may apply for this status more than once, but cannot exceed 12 credit hours under this status. Students who enroll as a non-degree student are not guaranteed enrollment into a degree program. A completed non-degree application is required for each session.

International Admission. Prior to an admission offer, international student applicants whose native language is not English must pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550, unless they have received a degree from an accredited college or university in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada (except Quebec), Australia or New Zealand. The examination is given at various times during the year and in many centers throughout the world. Inquiries should be addressed to TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, P. O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6151, telephone number is (609) 771-7760, or visit International students who are transferring from unfinished degree programs at other universities in the United States and who have not taken this examination must successfully take the TOEFL examination with a minimum score of 90 (internet-based), 213 (computer-based), or 550 (paper-based).

In addition to meeting the language requirement, international students must provide evidence of having earned the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education. This is usually accomplished by submitting official transcripts of all university work. The transcripts must be translated into English. A grade point average equivalent to at least a 2.750 on a 4.000 point scale is required. Evidence of adequate financial resources to pursue a graduate program at Slippery Rock University must be documented via a notarized affidavit of financial support and an original bank statement showing the availability of sufficient funds for a minimum of one year.

Transfer Credit. A maximum of 12 semester hours of graduate coursework earned at other accredited institutions may be accepted for transfer to Slippery Rock University. In some programs, the maximum hours that may be transferred is less than 12 because a maximum of one-third of the program’s required total credit hours may be taken at institutions other than Slippery Rock University. For example, in a 30 credit hour graduate program, no more than 10 credits may transfer. These credits must carry at least a “B” grade, and be approved by the appropriate program coordinator and the director of graduate admissions. Those grades received for courses other than Slippery Rock University’s will be recorded but will not be included in the student’s cumulative grade point average. Credits earned in extension courses and in off-campus centers of other institutions will be reviewed for acceptance. Transfer of credits from other institutions will be recommended by the graduate coordinator and be approved/disapproved by the Director of Graduate Admissions. No more than six semester hours shall be transferred from another institution after a student has been admitted to a graduate program at Slippery Rock University. Any request to transfer credits should be made in writing at the time of admission to graduate study.

Transient Students from Another Institution. Students pursuing a graduate program at another accredited institution may enroll in graduate courses for the purpose of transferring the credits earned to that institution. Such students should complete and have signed the appropriate transient student approval form, available from the Graduate Admissions Office, 1 Morrow Way, 124 North Hall Welcome Center, Slippery Rock, PA 16057.

Transient Students Enrolled in a Degree Program at Slippery Rock University. Students enrolled in a graduate degree program at Slippery Rock University who wish to take courses elsewhere as part of their degree should have a Transient Student Clearance Form approved and signed by their advisor and coordinator. After completion of the course(s), an official transcript must be sent directly from that institution to the office of graduate admission at Slippery Rock University in order to have the credit accepted and posted to the university record. (Note: Provided a grade of “B” or better is earned, the credits will be accepted by transfer to apply to the student’s degree requirements at Slippery Rock. However, only quality points earned at Slippery Rock University will be used in computing the student’s grade point average.) No more than 6 semester hours of transient credits shall be transferred from another institution after a student has been admitted to a graduate program at SRU.

Auditing Courses. Auditing of graduate courses is authorized if class size permits. No credits of any kind may be earned by auditing. Auditors are classified as non-degree students and must pay the same tuition and fees charged to students enrolled in the class for credit.