Apr 08, 2020  
2006-2008 Graduate Catalog 
2006-2008 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid is responsible for the coordination of sources of financial assistance for graduate students at Slippery Rock University. Graduate students who plan to attend Slippery Rock University may be eligible for various types of financial aid. If a student interested in obtaining a graduate degree needs financial assistance, the possibilities for a graduate assistantship, part-time employment and/or a loan should be considered. For more information, please visit the Financial Aid Office at 107 Maltby Center, or go online at www.sru.edu/pages/5013.asp.


Graduate Assistantships


Listings of current graduate assistantships may be found at the Graduate Admissions Website

More than 100 University funded graduate assistantships are awarded each year to deserving graduate students. To be eligible for a full-time assistantship, you must be admitted to graduate study as a degree candidate, register and maintain at least nine (9) semester credits of graduate level coursework, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and demonstrate acceptable academic progress. Full-time assistantships may be awarded for up to two years with recipients working 17.5 hours per week (defined by the supervisor) during the regular academic year.

Full-time graduate assistants will receive a $4000 per year stipend ($2000 per semester) and a full tuition waiver of 9-15 graduate credits per semester. Graduate students will be charged a per credit hour rate for graduate credits exceeding the 15 credit tuition waiver per semester. The graduate assistantship tuition waiver does not cover required student fees. The tuition waiver applies to both resident and non-resident graduate tuition charges.

Graduate assistantships may also be awarded on a part-time basis as ¼-time (5 graduate credits), half-time (7 graduate credits), or ¾-time (8 graduate credits). Applicants are advised to check with the graduate admissions office for availability, or contact the department representative directly.

Graduate assistantships are normally awarded to degree candidates admitted on an unconditional basis. Students admitted conditionally may be considered for assistantship positions with the approval of the director of graduate admissions. Assistantships are intended to relate as much as possible to the student’s program of study, though this is not a mandatory requirement for position consideration. The awarding of an assistantship is regarded as an honor to the student recipient, and persons selected should reflect credit to the sponsoring department or office and to Slippery Rock University. SRU 3+3 students enrolled in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program are not eligible for graduate assistantships starting in their first year of that program.

Applications forms and listings of available positions may be obtained through the office of graduate admissions or by accessing the graduate admissions web site through www.sru.edu/graduate. The graduate assistant employment application form should be completed and sent for each position of interest, along with a current resume, directly to the respective department or administrative unit. Consult the office of graduate admissions for more information. Candidates are also advised to submit an open general graduate assistantship employment application to the office of graduate admissions for interested departmental representative to review.

The number of assistantships in any particular designated area is subject to change according to University needs. Assistantship positions are normally awarded for the academic year. Applications may be submitted at any time. Candidates are advised to submit their material prior to June 1 for fall consideration. Late submissions will be accepted and reviewed as needed. Summer session graduate assistantship positions may be offered according to University needs, and are in addition to the regular academic year. Contact the office of graduate admissions for more information on summer assistantships.

Scholarships And Awards


Dr. Ernest Brennecke Memorial Award
In September 1970, the Dr. Ernest Brennecke Memorial Award was established by the department of English in honor of Dr. Brennecke, noted Shakespearean teacher, author, and professor of English at Slippery Rock University, 1967-69. The award is given to students in the master of arts degree program in English and is based on either a thesis presentation or on the quality point average of students upon completion of their program.
For information regarding this award, contact the Department of English.

Dr. Robert D. Duncan Award
In April 1983, the history department announced the creation of the Robert D. Duncan Award in honor of Dr. Duncan, retired chairperson who served Slippery Rock University from 1949 to 1978. The award is given each year to a graduating student in history who demonstrates a high QPA and/or service to the department.
For information regarding this award, contact the Department of History.

Maggie Meise Graduate Scholarship
Criteria: Graduate student who completed undergraduate degree at SRU and has
completed 9 graduate credits at SRU with 3.500 QPA.
Amount: $500/yr.
Deadline: Late November
For information regarding this scholarship, contact the office of Alumni Affairs.

Charles Bennett Scholarship
Criteria: Graduate student in counseling and educational psychology with 3.500
QPA who is a Pennsylvania resident. Must demonstrate financial need.
Amount: $700 maximum
Deadline: March 30
For information regarding this scholarship, contact the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology.

Class of ‘57 Scholarship
Criteria: Graduate Education major.
Amount: $500
Deadline: May 1
For information regarding this scholarship, contact the dean, college of education.

Dr. Robert A. Macoskey Memorial Scholarship
Criteria: Sustainable Systems graduate student with 3.500 QPA. Must have completed minimum of 12 semester hours of credit and demonstrate advocacy/commitment for sustainable systems concept.
Amount: Varies
For information regarding this scholarship, contact the Department of Parks and Recreation/ Environmental Education.

Marjorie Christy Maguire Fellowship
Criteria: Graduate student in the Doctorate of Physical Therapy program who is in good academic standing, and who has demonstrated excellence in academics, clinical practice and research. Applicants must have successfully completed the first semester of study within SRU’s DPT program.
Amount: $1,000
Contact: Physical Therapy Department 724/738-2080
Deadline: March 15

Ivona Kemp Natural Living Scholarship
Criteria: Graduate student who is enrolled within the Master of Science in Sustainable Systems degree program at SRU. Applicants must be approved for degree candidacy with a minimum QPA of 3.25 and demonstrate financial need.
Amount: Varies
Contact: Ivona Kemp Scholarship Committee, 101 Eisenberg Classroom Building, 724/738-2068
Deadline: March

Hazel Andrews Reed Fellowship
Established in 1998 for students in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program. For information regarding this fellowship contact the Graduate School of Physical Therapy.

Ryan Chandler Scholarship
This memorial scholarship was developed in 1999 for Doctor of Physical Therapy students. For further information contact the Graduate School of Physical Therapy.

Loan and Work Programs Available


Federal Stafford Loan. Students may wish to access student loan funds through the Federal Stafford Loan program to assist in meeting their educational expenses. To apply for the Federal Stafford Loan students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and answer yes to the question that asks, “are you interested in student loans?” In addition, students must complete a Maser Promissory Note to begin borrowing at Slippery Rock University. Students must be enrolled in at least six credits during any term in which a Stafford Loan is requested. The Stafford Loan process takes approximately six to eight weeks to be completed.

Information from the FAFSA determines the amount and type of Federal Stafford Loan eligibility. A subsidized Stafford Loan is available to students with financial need; the term subsidized means that the federal government pays the interest on the loan while the student is enrolled. An unsubsidized Stafford Loan means that the student is responsible for paying the interest while enrolled, although the student can choose to pay the interest quarterly or request that the interest be capitalized.

The maximum amount that a graduate student can borrow may be up to $18,500 per year although only $8,500 of that can be subsidized. A student’s Stafford Loan, combined with any other sources of aid, cannot exceed the student’s cost of attendance.

Additional information about the Federal Stafford Loan program is available at www.aessuccess.org.

Federal Work Study (FWS). Students must demonstrate financial need as determined through the FASFA to be considered for FWS. Student employment positions are posted at www.sru.edu/pages/10876.asp Students must find their own jobs by completing a student employment application for each position desired and submitting that application to the student employment supervisor whose name and location are listed on the job description. No student is guaranteed a job. Employers are made aware of students who are eligible for FWS and these students are to be given priority in the hiring process. A maximum of twenty hours per week may be worked during periods of enrollment. The current wage rate is minimum wage. Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis for the number of hours worked.

Community Service Work-Study. Students may wish to seek employment through the Community Service Work Study program. Information on these job opportunities can be obtained from the SRU Financial Aid Office.

State Student Employment Program. For those students who do not demonstrate financial need as determined by the FASFA, the University offers an extensive employment program using institutional funds. Maximum hours, wage rates and hiring procedures are identical to those of the FWS program.

The Financial Aid Application Process


The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) must be filed to apply for the financial aid available through Slippery Rock University. We encourage you to file this application between January 1 and May 1. Completing your federal income tax return prior to completing this application is highly encouraged as the FASFA refers to specific lines on the tax return. The Federal School Code for Slippery Rock University is 003327.

How is Eligibility Determined?
Students qualify for most financial aid based on their eligibility for individual sources of aid and their financial need. A family’s or student’s financial need is based on a simple formula:

Cost of Attendance
– Expected Family Contribution
= Financial Need

What Can Financial Aid Cover?
The office of financial aid calculates an average cost of attendance for each student based on their program of study and their in-state or out-of-state status. Typically, the cost of attendance consists of costs for tuition, fees, room, board, books, travel, and other associated educational costs.

What is an Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?
The EFC is calculated through the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. This figure reflects the Federal estimate of what a student can afford to contribute toward a year of college.

What is My Eligibility for Financial Aid?
The level of financial determines the amount of eligibility that a student has for financial aid. It is used by the office of financial aid to determine eligibility for specific programs. An award letter listing eligibility for financial aid is sent to each student after the determination of financial need.

Students or families who experience hardship due to disability, death, decrease in income, loss of benefits, etc., should contact the office of financial aid. A review of their eligibility for financial aid may be performed based on their change in status. Financial aid applicants may contact the office of financial aid for specific program eligibility criteria.

How do I Receive Financial Aid Funds?
The office of student accounts is responsible for disbursing all financial aid with the exception of the Federal Work Study Program. A student’s financial aid, excluding Federal Work Study, is applied directly to contracted university charges (tuition, fees, room and board). Any excess funds will be refunded to the student according to the refund policies set forth by Student Accounts.

Academic Progress for Financial Aid
The Higher Education Act of 1965 as amended by Congress mandates institutions of higher education to establish minimum standards of “satisfactory progress” for students receiving Federal financial aid. The Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid can be viewed online at www.sru.edu/pages/628.asp.

Statement of Rights and Responsibilities


The student has the right to:

  • Be considered for financial aid assistance; be notified of the financial aid decision; and if not awarded financial assistance, to be informed as to the reason for denial.
  • Appeal financial aid decisions to the Associate Provost for Enrollment Services.
  • Be informed of the financial aid programs available and the required application materials.

The student is responsible for:

  • Submitting the appropriate application forms within published deadline dates.
  • Using all refunds of financial aid funds for expenses related to the student’s education.
  • Following the requirements and repayment schedules of educational loan programs.
  • Informing the Office of Financial Aid of all grants, scholarships, or other funds received for their educational costs from outside organizations.

Additional Eligibility Criteria
In order to be considered for financial aid, student applicants must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Be registered with Selective Service (if required).
  • Be working toward a degree or teacher certification at SRU.
  • Not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on a federal educational loan.

General Comments

  • All aid programs require that the student make satisfactory academic progress as detailed in the financial aid section of the catalog.
  • The financial aid office should be contacted for instructions when a major change in the family’s financial condition occurs such as death, disability, retirement, loss of job, etc.)
  • Students and families are encouraged to contact the financial aid office at 724-738-2044 or via e-mail at financial.aid@sru.edu with any questions they have about the financial aid information provided in this catalog.
  • The information provided in this section was accurate at the time of publication. Fees, regulations, eligibility requirements, etc. are subject to change.

Important Telephone Numbers
PHEAA Loan Division 1-800-692-7392
Federal Student Aid Information Center 1-800-433-3243
Financial Aid Office 724-738-2044

Veterans Affairs


The financial aid office coordinates all paperwork for veterans or dependents of veterans who are eligible for Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits. Qualified individuals should apply at least six weeks prior to the first day of classes. An original application for benefits and certified copy of DD214 (discharge paper), or VA form 2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility), or copy of Kicker contract may be required. The Office of Financial Aid should be contacted for additional information regarding DVA educational benefits, financial aid, tutorial assistance, and credits for military service and specific forms. General information is available in the SRU Veterans Benefits pamphlet, or at www.sru.edu/pages/633.asp.